Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: What's my dish's current elevation?  (Read 2809 times)

tundelas

What's my dish's current elevation?
« on: September 13, 2014, 04:48 pm »
Two quick questions:

1)  A channel has moved from DVB-S to DVB-S2.  Will a DVB-S receiver still be able to receive signal from the satellite?  (I'm trying to point a dish, but can't seem to catch it.. is it because the receiver I'm using is DVBS?)

2) How do I find out what elevation I have my satellite at?  The back of the dish is very very rusted and the small numbers indicating elevation cannot be seen anymore.  What's the best way to tell what my elevation is set to?

Thanks.

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
Re: What's my dish's current elevation?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:01 pm »
A legacy satellite receiver that only supports DVB-S can't tune any DVB-S2 transponders so you won't see any quality levels when trying to tune those. However, you may still use any other active DVB-S transponder on the same satellite in order to tune your dish using that receiver.

If the elevation scale on your dish is gone you may use an inclometer in order to measure your dish's elevation. This can be purchased at any hardware store
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:47 pm by DrSat »
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

Jorgek

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:00 pm »
An inclinometer will be accurate with a prime focus dish.
However if you place the inclinometer on the face of an offset dish then the reading will be off by the amount of the dish offset, usually 22 to 25 degrees.
FTA: Openbox S9, 33" dish on Stab 90 HH, Avenger PLL LNB.  Spare 33" with Avenger PLL LNB.  25" at 30W, GeoSatPro  PLL LNB.
OTA: CM4221 at 35 ft. HW-150 PVR.

Emerald_Boar

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 05:23 pm »
1)  A channel has moved from DVB-S to DVB-S2.  Will a DVB-S receiver still be able to receive signal from the satellite?  (I'm trying to point a dish, but can't seem to catch it.. is it because the receiver I'm using is DVBS?)

DVB-S receiver can detect a DVB-S2 signal.  The issue is that it can not decode the signal.  (on a DVB-S receiver a signal will jump back and forth.  one sec 90 then 2 then 35 then 0, etc).

Use a DVB-S2 receiver to find the signal.  Make the BIOS is set correctly.  Error in the BIOS will prevent you from using default setting commonly found on line.

2) How do I find out what elevation I have my satellite at?  The back of the dish is very very rusted and the small numbers indicating elevation cannot be seen anymore.  What's the best way to tell what my elevation is set to?

There are many sites that give you a reasonable elevation values.  Its probably best to use one of them as a start point.
BTW.  if the dish was left alone.  You still may be in alignment with that satellite.

Good Luck,
EB

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:17 pm »
DVB-S receiver can detect a DVB-S2 signal.  The issue is that it can not decode the signal.  (on a DVB-S receiver a signal will jump back and forth.  one sec 90 then 2 then 35 then 0, etc).

Although some DVB-S receivers may have a signal meter that responds quick enough to jump back and forth on a DVB-S2 signal, many DVB-S only receivers simply won't show any signal quality when trying to tune a DVB-S2 transponder.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.