Dr. Sat discussion forum

Television sources => Internet streaming => Topic started by: joshua minaya on January 21, 2015, 08:13 am

Title: Sony's 'The Interview' coming to Netflix
Post by: joshua minaya on January 21, 2015, 08:13 am
Remember when "The Interview" was almost scrapped by Sony Pictures? Well in little less than a month, the film has hauled in $40 million through on-demand rentals and another $6 million in theaters.  And now it's coming to Netflix.
        On Tuesday Netflix announced that, starting on Saturday, the scandalous Seth Rogen comedy will be available to its subscribers in the United States and Canada.
 The terms of the deal were not disclosed, but it gives Sony another revenue stream as the studio aims to break even with the movie.
 The production budget for "The Interview" was about $44 million -- so with the combined $46 million from on-demand and theatrical sales, the studio can now celebrate that it's surpassed that total.
 But it still has a ways to go. Sony has to split the revenue from rentals and ticket sales with the distributors.
 Furthermore, the marketing budget for the movie was at least $20 million. (Some Hollywood news outlets have reported even higher estimates.)
 Sony still has some time to recoup those costs, though. On top of Tuesday's Netflix news, it is working on an international distribution plan, and it is releasing the movie on DVD and Blu Ray in the United States next month.
 The studio announced the $40 million figure on Tuesday afternoon, a few hours before the Netflix announcement. The revenue comes from 5.8 million online rentals and purchases of the movie, both through online stores like YouTube and through cable and satellite providers' systems.
 "We always said that we would get the movie to the greatest audience possible," Michael Lynton, CEO of Sony Entertainment, said in a statement. "Achieving over $40 million in digital sales is a significant milestone."
 Significant is right.
 This time last month, both the film and Sony were under attack from cyber-criminals who threatened violence against movie-goers if "The Interview" -- a comedy about an assassination plot against North Korean leader Kim Jong-un -- ever came out.
 Movie theaters pulled out of their plans to screen the movie; Sony then cancelled the film outright; President Obama and some in Hollywood publicly criticized the cancellation; and Sony reversed course a week later, releasing the film to a small number of theaters and a big number of digital distributors.
 Ever since the Christmas Eve release, "The Interview" has been scrutinized for what it says -- or does not say -- about the future of movie distribution.
 Big theater chain owners say Sony still could have made a lot more money the traditional way, with a wide release in thousands of theaters.
 Patrick Corcoran, the top spokesman for the National Association of Theater Owners, wrote in a blog post last week  (http://pro.boxoffice.com/latest-news/2015-01-16-the-imitation-game-the-interviews-simultaneous-release-doesnt-change-anything)that the movie is a Rorschach test: "Those inclined to believe that simultaneous theatrical and home release is inevitable... see a 'game changer.' Some, like me, see a blot."
 He argued that "the only game changed here was just how much money Sony left on the table."
 Corcoran also speculated that Sony only pocketed 60% of the revenue from on-demand rentals, with distributors like YouTube and Comcast keeping the rest.
 Sony has declined to comment on the specific financial terms.
 But it is continuing to make the movie available to, as Lynton put it, "the greatest audience possible."
 "The Interview" will come out in a number of theaters in the United Kingdom and Ireland on February 6, according to the movie industry web site SlashFilm (http://www.slashfilm.com/interview-vod-gross/) -- foreshadowing a possible unveiling of the movie in other parts of the world.
 And it is due to be released on DVD and Blu Ray in the U.S. on February 17.

source:    http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/20/media/the-interview-makes-40-million/

Title: Re: Sony's 'The Interview' coming to Netflix
Post by: mikka254 on February 20, 2015, 04:34 am
The film was too funny. Extremely funny. When it was scrapped from the big theaters, more people wanted to see what all the fuss is about and of course netflix is willing to respond by airing the film.
Post by: KNH on February 21, 2015, 02:49 pm
That movie really wasn't that bad, in my opinion. It would have been really ridiculous if it would have gotten taken out of theaters. I think at this point it will get watched quite a lot on Netflix because people may be curious about all of the hype that was made over it.
Post by: dyanmarie25 on February 22, 2015, 02:14 am
I have watched The Interview and it's so freaking hilarious. Seth Rogen and James Franco really have a good comedic chemistry together. I agree, the movie is some sort of a brutal satire of North Korea, but it's all just for laughs. No big deal about it. Anyway, what is being depicted in the movie is somehow true.
Post by: Johnderman on February 23, 2015, 12:01 am
And to think N. Korea tried so hard to attack Sony over this. I remember someone tweeting that it was strange that a N. Korean leader would have any say in what aired in a theater in the United States of America, but at the same time look at what terrorism has done to morale in the U.S., when threats are made, eggshells are tread on.
Post by: westmixxin on March 20, 2015, 04:19 pm
 As soon and this came out I was instantly on Netflix I was surprised that it came the Netflix so fast. But the movie actually ended up making a lot of money even though it didn't go to theaters it's pretty much open up a brand-new door to be honest with you. If the movie theaters want to increase the revenue they're going to have to create a much more interesting experience.
Post by: E.Mil on March 21, 2015, 12:33 am
I didn't have any interest in seeing the movie at the movie theater before all this stuff happened. I will probably catch it on Netflix and see what the big fuss was all about.
Post by: Briannagodess on July 04, 2015, 12:04 pm

Oh I would love to watch this movie! I love James Franco! I think this movie would be really funny and a huge pain for the country they are making fun of, lol.
Post by: tiffaninichole on November 25, 2015, 01:39 pm
I remember all of the hullaballoo this movie caused. It was madness. I ended up downloading it when all the scandal was happening and enjoyed it for the most part. As with most comedies, some parts were really funny and others were just too over the top and dumb.

I was surprised when they ended up releasing it despite all of the drama surrounding it... unless they're the ones who planted all of the dramatic stories in the first place. LOL
Post by: TheInventionOfFlying on January 04, 2016, 11:26 am
The movie was a satire-- it's meant to be funny, a poke at North Korea's leadership and they acted so drastically. I can't believe Sony was scared about North Korea's threat good thing the President backed them up though. I though the film was funny it wasn't very intelligent ofcourse but it was engaging. Satires and comedies are supposed to make you think about stuff that we're too polite to say at the dinner table.
Post by: JohnBeaulieu on January 04, 2016, 11:13 pm
After all the hype followed by the threats, the initial pulling of the movie and then the release it didn't turn out to be very good. It had a few funny moments but was really overdone in spots. They were trying to hard. The plot was pretty weak as well.
Post by: kgord on January 05, 2016, 12:04 pm
Actually, the Interview has been on Netflix for quite awhile. I first started using it this summer and I remember seeing it on there. I heard it is not a very good movie, but I might watch it sometime if I have nothing better to do. It certainly led to a lot of commotion. I think China helps to sit on that crazy North Korean.
Post by: PingPongCall on January 06, 2016, 11:17 am
While it's true that it's been on there for awhile, I'm still amazed that a major film studio was willing to do something like this. Considering the actors and talents involved I'm even more surprised that they were okay with it.
Post by: PingPongCall on January 06, 2016, 11:19 am
Actually, the Interview has been on Netflix for quite awhile. I first started using it this summer and I remember seeing it on there. I heard it is not a very good movie, but I might watch it sometime if I have nothing better to do. It certainly led to a lot of commotion. I think China helps to sit on that crazy North Korean.
did it really, I hadn't heard about this. Whats wrong with North Korea? How can a place like that still exist?
Post by: JohnBeaulieu on January 06, 2016, 04:17 pm
Major talents and studio aside, the movie was absolutely terrible. It it didn't deserve the attention it got even without N. Korea having a hissy fit.
Post by: rz3300 on January 24, 2016, 12:38 pm
I have heard some mixed reviews on this one.  I have to say that I am not the biggest Seth Rogan fan or his comedy, but I do like the idea of the movie and I think that I will watch it.  Anything that makes light of political situations I usually find to be pretty entertaining, so I guess I can spend an hour or so and see what this one has to offer.  It does not help that I have heard it called the worst movie ever though by some people.
Post by: tlspiegel on January 29, 2016, 07:45 pm
I heard The Interview is hilarious, so I will watch it just for the giggles.  It's a political satire comedy.  Not meant to be taken seriously, so I can't wait to watch it -- after I finish the remaining episodes of Person of Interest on my list.   
Post by: rz3300 on January 30, 2016, 11:39 am
Well I have an update for everyone.  After being reminded of the movie here I decided to watch it, also mostly because I just happened to come across it when I was extremely bored with nothing to do, and I have to say that it was pretty funny.  It is pretty much what I expected in terms of dumb comedies go, but it had some good moments that really had me laughing pretty hard.  It is worth an hour or so if you can find it for free.