Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Canada updates copyright laws for digital age  (Read 4411 times)

joshua minaya

Canada updates copyright laws for digital age
« on: January 22, 2015, 08:16 am »
As part of the Harper Government’s efforts to modernise Canada’s copyright laws for the modern digital age, the Copyright Modernization Act formalizes the voluntary Notice and Notice regime. This regime, already used by some Canadian Internet service providers (ISP), is designed to notify users of alleged copyright infringement taking place at their Internet address. This is the final step in implementing the Copyright Modernization Act
The Notice and Notice regime is a made-in-Canada solution and will legally require Internet intermediaries, such as ISPs and website hosts, to take certain actions upon receiving a notice of alleged infringement from a copyright owner.
Specifically, ISPs and hosts are required to forward notices, sent by copyright owners, to users whose Internet address has been identified as being the source of possible infringement. The intermediary must also inform the copyright owner once the notice has been sent.
The Copyright Modernization Act sets clear rules on the content of these notices. Specifically, they must be in writing and state the claimant’s name and address, identify the material allegedly being infringed and the claimant’s right to it, as well as specify the infringing activity, the date and time of the alleged activity, and the electronic address associated with the incident. The Government is bringing the regime into force after determining that the Act provides sufficient flexibility for the regime to function without regulations.

source:  http://www.iptv-news.com/2014/06/canada-updates-copyright-laws-for-digital-age/

kittyworker

Re: Canada updates copyright laws for digital age
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 10:52 pm »
Arrr Pirates beware.

Has anyone ever got one of these notices? No one I know has and some of them are seriously into their pirating movies and music.

Johnderman

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 11:52 pm »
I hear those who use torrents and actually do a lot of uploading are the ones more likely to get hit with it. I used to work at an ISP and I know a lot more people were torrenting than the number of notices that came in, I think it depends on how popular the movies are that are being torrented too. But yeah, arrr, pirates beware!!

tiffaninichole

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:22 pm »
I got a notice once and it honestly scared the crap outta me. LOL. The webpage just popped up and mentioned copyrights and laws and all kinds of stuff. My heart was beating SO fast. So I did a little digging and discovered that my current internet provider will make repeat offenders attend an online course basically watching a film about how pirating hurts the movie industry and blah, blah, blah.

After that, I wasn't scared anymore and it was business as usual. LOL.

rz3300

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 02:11 pm »
It is always interesting to see how long it takes and what avenues are taken for these companies to really catch up with the times in terms of laws and regulations regarding the technology that people can come up with.  It is only a matter of time, though, until the next thing comes out that they will have to adapt to.  I think that the truth is is that those that can better adapt will be stringer in the future.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.