Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Reception in the Vancouver Area  (Read 3670 times)

LaurieNicol

Reception in the Vancouver Area
« on: August 31, 2014, 12:30 pm »
Is there maintenance going on on Mt Seymour? I have a "No Service"  message from both CKVU (10) and CHNM (42). That's annoying because without a lock my TV doesn't want to let me change channels.

Additionally, CHAN 8 has been dropping in and out for the last couple of weeks ( 85% to 0 and pixelating). Is that just weird tropo or have they made changes with that transmitter, too.

laurie in Ladner with a DB8e on the roof with a rotator.
(and a KU dish on a pole in the back yard)

Jorgek

Re: Reception in the Vancouver Area
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:51 am »
Don't know about MT Seymour but broadcasters typically carry out maintenance after midnight to cause as little service disruption as possible.

Check your aim and also all connections.  Is there an pre-amp or amp in line? 
FTA: Openbox S9, 33" dish on Stab 90 HH, Avenger PLL LNB.  Spare 33" with Avenger PLL LNB.  25" at 30W, GeoSatPro  PLL LNB.
OTA: CM4221 at 35 ft. HW-150 PVR.

LaurieNicol

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:02 pm »
It' came back, after a few hours.
I have a rotator so aim is one of the first things I check.
The "No Service" message and not "No Signal" is a nuisance because until I get a lock, it won't change channels. It also made me suspect that there was a signal but it held no information or something was missing in the code.

Like I said, it returned after a few hours, so I was wondering if it was bad tropo or if there was an outage at the transmitter.

laurie in Ladner with a roof mounter DB8e on a rotator

joshua minaya

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 06:11 am »
Don't know about MT Seymour but broadcasters typically carry out maintenance after midnight to cause as little service disruption as possible.

Check your aim and also all connections.  Is there an pre-amp or amp in line?

Thanks for this useful piece of information i wonder if he was able to resolve his problem. I have had a similar problem in the past.

LaurieNicol

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:27 am »
Yeah it resolved itself after a couple of days. I guess it happens often enough that people pay no attention. But it is annoying to wonder if it's me or them. It's been pretty good lately. Still I have no intention of going back to cable.
If only I could get rid of the internet cause the price of that is going up by leaps and bounds.
(I did see one guy standing next to the library window with his laptop after hours)

laurie in Ladner with a DB8e on the roof and a 90cm dish in the back yard.

Johnderman

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:17 pm »

On the topic of the internet going up in price, if you have a library nearby, do some research on cantennas and 'poor man's wifi', I'm sure you'll find a way to hook up to that free WiFi source. If you want some good quality receivers, check out the Ubiquiti line of products, I hooked one up for someone and it has great range, works as a transmitter or receiver.

westmixxin

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:13 pm »
 The transition from the USA to Canada was very difficult when I noticed the poor quality of reception. I noticed that the Wi-Fi connection is not nearly as strong and I noticed that the TV doesn't necessarily appear to have a great connection as well. Some of my programs get a little bit fuzzy sometimes and I always wonder why.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.