Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How Many Channels?  (Read 13162 times)

Johnderman

How Many Channels?
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:01 pm »
I'm just curious, how many channels do you guys get, on average, and are you in the Metro area or in a small town? I can only get about 3, and the reception is awful!

mairj23

Re: How Many Channels?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 03:51 pm »
That I cant answer because I'm in the U.S. Here, we can get about 10 to 12 on average. Yes, the reception is bad at times and if you got an outdoor antenna, you constantly have to turn it for best reception. I wonder how things work in Canada, contrast to the U.S.

westmixxin

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 08:10 pm »
 Yes without cable I get about 20 channels on average and I think that's a pretty decent amount of channels to be honest with you and I really enjoy each and every one of them. But I have become a little bored with some of the programming and I wish that things would get at least a little bit more interesting. But you can't complain if you're not ordering cable.

mairj23

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 07:30 pm »
I get about 10 channels here in Florida. The networks of ABC, CBS, NBC, and Fox. There are some other channels you get but the programming isn't too good. Also these new digital antennas don't last too long and are very cheap.

easily confused

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 10:27 am »
Here in the far eastern corner of Ontario I am receiving 19 OTA channels without moving the antenna. I have an antenna on top of a 50" tower and a rotor. In total we receive around 35 channels depending on how the antenna is positioned.

JohnBeaulieu

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 02:08 am »
I live about 30 miles southeast of a large metropolitan area and I get 20 to 30 channels depending on which room of the house I'm in. I have an indoor powered antenna and a digital TV.

g17feedhunter

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 12:44 pm »
I live North of Toronto and get about 50 stations.. Buffalo, Toronto, Rochester, Erie, Hamilton etc.. on good nights Cleveland used to come in too.

6up

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 04:15 am »
Am in Seattle and I can receive ABC, NBC, MY TV and CTV. The reception is o.k. But I like live online streaming since I can get get thousands of stations to choose from.

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 07:53 am »
The amount of receivable OTA channels is greatly dependent on one's location, the type of antenna used, where it is mounted and how it is connected to the TV. As a rule of thumb, an outdoor antenna mounted at the highest position on the roof or tower and a straight RG6 coax connection to the TV will yield the best results.

We have an OTA coverage tool on our website at http://otacoverage.drsat.ca which will show all potentially receivable channels for a specific address including coverage maps for most stations.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

mairj23

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 03:47 pm »
My cousin just bought a big outdoor antenna. It only picks up about 6 channels. That's a big disappointment if you ask me. OTA tv sucks big time.

g17feedhunter

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2015, 03:57 pm »
My cousin just bought a big outdoor antenna. It only picks up about 6 channels. That's a big disappointment if you ask me. OTA tv sucks big time.

Can I have your bell or rogers rep id please? Your opinion is mis-informed and sounds like nothing more than an attempt to troll and keep people on the pay providers.

JohnBeaulieu

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 01:24 am »
That I cant answer because I'm in the U.S. Here, we can get about 10 to 12 on average. Yes, the reception is bad at times and if you got an outdoor antenna, you constantly have to turn it for best reception. I wonder how things work in Canada, contrast to the U.S.

You can not compare the entirety of the USA to Canada for reception. Local market comparisons make more sense. It depends on the local terrain, where the transmitters are etc... To just blindly state that 10 to 12 channels represents the average of the whole nation is ludicrous.

JohnBeaulieu

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 01:27 am »
Am in Seattle and I can receive ABC, NBC, MY TV and CTV. The reception is o.k. But I like live online streaming since I can get get thousands of stations to choose from.

I'm curious to know what online service you could possibly be referring to. Thousands of broadcast channels via streaming seems highly unlikely.

JohnBeaulieu

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2015, 09:53 pm »

You can not really categorically say that. There not be as much offered where your cousin lives or there may be installation and configuration issues. I get between 20 and 30 channels with an indoor antenna where I live.

Jorgek

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2015, 03:14 pm »
Agree, it all depends where you live.  Here in the Mississauga area I consistently get about 31 OTA channels a mix of Toronto, Buffalo and Hamilton.
FTA: Openbox S9, 33" dish on Stab 90 HH, Avenger PLL LNB.  Spare 33" with Avenger PLL LNB.  25" at 30W, GeoSatPro  PLL LNB.
OTA: CM4221 at 35 ft. HW-150 PVR.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.