Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Netflix refuses to turn over ‘sensitive’ data to CRTC  (Read 3542 times)

NewsHound

• Platinum member

• Personal Text
    Automated news posting bot
Netflix refuses to turn over ‘sensitive’ data to CRTC
« on: September 23, 2014, 01:31 pm »
Netflix refuses to turn over ‘sensitive’ data to CRTC

Netflix says it will not turn over confidential subscriber information to Canada's broadcast regulator in order to safeguard private corporate information.

Source: Netflix refuses to turn over ‘sensitive’ data to CRTC

smlebbie@gmail.com

Re: Netflix refuses to turn over ‘sensitive’ data to CRTC
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:37 pm »

It's such a toss up with Netflix giving away it's confidential information.  On one hand, if they are charging consumers astronomical prices, then the CRTC should investigate to try and save consumers money.  But, if Netflix is charging a fair price, I believe that Netflix has the right to protect their intellectual property.  Anyone agree with me?

Kamarsun1

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 02:48 pm »
If Netflix doesn't have to turn over sensitive data then why would they. Cable companies are upset at the simple fact that internet streaming is taking over, and its over going to get worst for them when they start losing sponsors.

mikeqin

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 03:33 am »
Good for Netflix. It is about time the CRTC learn that media has evolved away from government regulated TV. As consumers, we can go anywhere to get our media. The ideas of imposed Canadian content, imposed country of origin commercials, etc... are outdated. Technology has left the CRTC in the dust. The CRTC is still busy trying to regulate OTA TV when many of us have cut the cable/dish and gone online. I'll bet there are still people at CRTC stewing over whether to allow colour television into Canada or not - it may corrupt the morals of our youth.

joshua minaya

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 03:34 am »
It's such a toss up with Netflix giving away it's confidential information.  On one hand, if they are charging consumers astronomical prices, then the CRTC should investigate to try and save consumers money.  But, if Netflix is charging a fair price, I believe that Netflix has the right to protect their intellectual property.  Anyone agree with me?

I certainly support Netflix on this.

Johnderman

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 10:44 pm »
I don't get it. Why is Canada demanding the info? Does it have to do with infringement?

westmixxin

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 04:16 pm »
That is a very intelligent decision. Because the last thing you want to violate the privacy of your users within the no longer trusts your service. If you start getting the information out to the government are probably going to be concerned about the way that your operating your business. I think Netflix made the right decision in this situation.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.