Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: GeoSatPro HDVR1200  (Read 6740 times)

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
GeoSatPro HDVR1200
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:57 pm »
The HDVR1200 is the latest receiver model from GeoSatPro. It was mainly designed as a modern high definition receiver replacement for the now discontinued DVR-1100c and DSR-200 standard definition receivers used for the Glorystar satellite system. Although there are no HD channels on Galaxy 19 yet, certain ethnic channels such as RTS Serbia have now upgraded to the more modern MPEG4 delivery format so a high definition receiver such as the HDVR1200 is required to view these channels.

Package contents
=====================
Inside the box we can find a remote control, user manual, RCA composite cable, HDMI cable and the HDVR1200 unit itself. Not many receivers include a free HDMI cable so this is certainly a plus.

Size-wise, the receiver has a slim design of approximately 9" x 5.5" x 1.5" and the remote control 7" x 2" x 0.5".

Connections
=====================
The HDVR1200 includes one USB port on the back, a null serial interface, Component (YPbPr) video output, Composite Video-output, RCA, RCA Left/Right analog audio output, HDMI output and a TOSLINK (optical) digital audio out. There is also the standard SAT IN along with LOOP OUT connections.

Even if the receiver includes network based applications such as weather and a youtube player, there is NO ethernet port included with the HDVR1200. Apparently, an external USB ethernet or wireless adapter must be used in order to use these network features.

Front panel
=====================
The front panel includes a 4 digit LCD display which either shows the current time or channel number. When the unit is turned off, a red LED is turned on and when turned on, a green LED is on instead.

Unlike most newer receivers, the front panel buttons include Power, ^, \/, MENU, OK, < and > which allows for basic receiver operation even if you misplaced the remote.

To the right hand side under the access door hides a Smart card reader. Unsure it this was implemented in the firmware or not but as there are very few services in North America that can use it, it should not really matter.

Installation
=====================

When the receiver is first turned on, the user is prompted to select either Glorystar or Hobbyist - FTA mode. Glorystar mode allows the receiver to be preconfigured for use with the Glorystar service while Hobbyist mode enables all available features.

Pros and Cons
=====================

After having the chance to use the HDVR1200 for a few months now and setting up several systems including one motorized system, here are the pros and cons I was able to find. Unfortunately, I had to swap the HDVR1200 with the microHD on the motorized system I setup due to erratic motor behavior caused by the receiver.

Pros:
- Front panel has 7 buttons which allows for basic receiver operation even without the remote
- Front panel display shows either the clock or channel number
- Very fast blind scan which allows you to fully scan a satellite in less than 5 minutes.
- Like other GeoSatPro receivers. firmware and channel list updates are conveniently available from the Galaxy 19 97W satellite in addition to USB.
- Signal level screen shows a historical level graph of the last 10 seconds allowing easy dish alignment. Signal meter also available which includes beeper feature.
- Quick channel changes
- Zoom feature allows you to get a closeup view on the current channel.

Cons:
- Blind scan does not allow the user to specify any parameters, even frequency range.
- Unstable USALS motor support where motor will go all the way to the west after a while during normal operation. Had to swap receiver with the more mature microHD on a customer's motorized system due to this.
- Scaling issues when viewing certain Standard Definition channels which causes slight display artifacts. This is a chipset hardware issue and impacts other receivers based on the same hardware platform.
- Using the channel +/- button will tune to channels from other satellites even if a specific satellite was previously selected with the sat key.
- Network based features such as Youtube are included but as the receiver does NOT come with any network connectivity out of the box, these can't be used unless an add-on network device is purchased.
- Thin remote control feels a bit flimsy.

Final thoughts
=====================

This is a great box if you are using a fixed dish satellite system or for a secondary slave receiver with a primary receiver controlling a motorized system. The fast blindscan speed would be the main selling feature of this receiver.

The receiver could be better if a few of the above mentioned bugs could be fixed. However, it is not certain if there will be any future firmware updates as the person who was originally involved with GloryStar in the development of this receiver is no longer working for the company.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

stbel55

Re: GeoSatPro HDVR1200
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:46 am »
Bought HDVR1200 from Drsat and it's proving to be a reliable unit for scanning and sat selecting. ( Also good picture!! ) Only thing I don't know if it's software bug but when I go to menu to manually update software for box from Galaxy 19 it hangs up in download screen and stays like that. I'm not sure if I have latest updated software??  Any suggestions appreciated!   Thks      PS-Which transponder is it supposed to receive update from?? Also what features can I use the USB port for??

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
Re: GeoSatPro HDVR1200
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:17 am »
Bought HDVR1200 from Drsat and it's proving to be a reliable unit for scanning and sat selecting. ( Also good picture!! ) Only thing I don't know if it's software bug but when I go to menu to manually update software for box from Galaxy 19 it hangs up in download screen and stays like that. I'm not sure if I have latest updated software??  Any suggestions appreciated!   Thks      PS-Which transponder is it supposed to receive update from?? Also what features can I use the USB port for??

Thank you for providing your feedback on this unit.  The satellite firmware update service for this receiver runs off Galaxy 19 on transponder 11842 but sometimes, it does go down temporarily.  However, I don't believe that there has been any recent firmware updates for this receiver so it's not really an issue at the moment.

The USB port can also be used to update firmware, backup/restore your channel list along with your user settings and provide PVR functionality if an external USB hard disk is connected to it.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.