Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: AVenger PLL LNB and GeoSat PLL LNB  (Read 4688 times)

LaurieNicol

AVenger PLL LNB and GeoSat PLL LNB
« on: September 04, 2014, 04:40 pm »
For the low cost of the Avenger ($10 US and free shipping to my wife's US mailbox) I thought I would give it a try, considering some posts on some forums have liked the  Avenger PLL321S-2 PLL over a GeoSat.  Other opinions were that the GeoSatPro SL1 PLL LNB was just as good.

After figuring out that I had to change the LNB from 10750 to 9750/10600 or to 10600, I found that the reception was just the same. I was hoping that it would be a little better and I would get back the Oklahoma PBS on 125W or that COSI on 103W would be above the threshold, but no such luck.

I'll just leave the Avenger in, as it made NO difference

laurie in Ladner BC with a pole mounted 90cm GeoSat setup (and motor).

{tip of the hat to Jorgek}

Jorgek

Re: AVenger PLL LNB and GeoSat PLL LNB
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:08 pm »
Having used and played around with both LNBs, I find that the Avenger seems to have more latitude for adjustment, mainly skew.  The GeoSat appears to be more critical.  This is just my observation and not a scientific evaluation.  The main advantage to the Geosat is that its a standard 10750.  The Avenger is a universal which ties up the 22khz tone in the receiver so you can't control say a 22khz switch.
FTA: Openbox S9, 33" dish on Stab 90 HH, Avenger PLL LNB.  Spare 33" with Avenger PLL LNB.  25" at 30W, GeoSatPro  PLL LNB.
OTA: CM4221 at 35 ft. HW-150 PVR.

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:10 am »
After figuring out that I had to change the LNB from 10750 to 9750/10600 or to 10600, I found that the reception was just the same. I was hoping that it would be a little better and I would get back the Oklahoma PBS on 125W or that COSI on 103W would be above the threshold, but no such luck.

Thank you for posting your experience with this LNBF.  In my experience, it does slightly outperform the GeoSatPro PLL LNBF, especially if your dish is not precisely aligned to the satellite.  Make sure that you optimize LNBF placement on the holder bracket, especially skew by twisting left or right in order to maximize your signal level.  Please note that the 103W satellite has a non-standard skew at the moment but this will soon be rectified once the satellite gets replaced by the end of this year.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

LaurieNicol

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 12:42 am »
Okay, I will give the Avenger the edge.

I had it in an out several times to convince myself there was a difference. I suppose that at my latitude it's just the little bit of difference between stability and breakup on some of the stations.

I'll wait to see if LPB comes back on SES2, and if it doesn't, I start playing with the skew.
It's funny though. I had COSI for a while then lost it, got it back again for a day and then lost it again.
laurie in Ladner BC

Jorgek

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 04:46 pm »
That was my experience with COZI last summer/fall.  For a couple of weeks it was coming in without having to set the odd ball skew.  Then it just disappeared.
FTA: Openbox S9, 33" dish on Stab 90 HH, Avenger PLL LNB.  Spare 33" with Avenger PLL LNB.  25" at 30W, GeoSatPro  PLL LNB.
OTA: CM4221 at 35 ft. HW-150 PVR.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.