Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Popularizing FTA satellite in Canada  (Read 11533 times)

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
Popularizing FTA satellite in Canada
« on: June 20, 2011, 09:28 am »
It would be interesting to hear your feedback on how to increase the popularity of FTA satellite in Canada.

As many of you know, the reputation of FTA was tarnished a bit by satellite piracy dealers using the term FTA as an euphemism for satellite piracy. One of our main objectives here at Dr. Sat is to set the facts straight and educate people about C and Ku band FTA satellite television. We hope to achieve this with our current and future initiatives but are always open to any suggestions from forum members on how to improve our efforts.

Please only post ideas or suggestions how how to popularize FTA satellite here in Canada. Any off-topic posts will be moved or deleted.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

Re: Popularizing FTA satellite in Canada
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:41 am »
something that should fix the problem is that someone uplinks some canadian channels to a ku band sat as ku band sats are common today
I fully agree. At least the CBC & SRC should be available on Ku band FTA in HD to serve all Canadians, even those not living within range of one of their digital OTA transmitters. (i.e. London!) The CBC is already on C-band but is encrypted so even unencrypting that feed would be a good start and cost them nothing.

All Canadians should have the right to view the CBC and SRC for free in HD without having to go through a provider and only FTA satellite can efficiently cover the entire country.

Would it be best to contact the CBC directly in regards to this or would contacting local MP's be best? Perhaps a petition of local MP's of areas unserved by the CBC / SRC in HD would make the CBC take notice.

AddictedToTV

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:07 pm »
I don't see Canadian signals ever being decrypted. That's partly due to copyright issues (US signal overlap) and partly due to the concentration of broadcast asset ownership in Canada. I do agree that there needs to be a low cost FTA option in Canada. That could be similar to the UK's FreeSat (though I don't see it being completely free in Canada) or some of the cheaper FTA packages that are currently available.

The big problem currently is that FTA is just not designed to be consumer friendly. The most desirable channels are spread over different satellites, some requiring large dishes, and the few that are available are essentially renegade or outlying feeds. US broadcasters, don't want consumers to access their signals with an FTA feed. Canadian broadcasters, mostly owned by BDUs with vested interest in DBS and cable systems, are even worse and exercise even tighter control on their feeds. They don't even like supplying HD OTA feeds, let alone FTA feeds.

Jorgek

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 09:44 am »
CBC is available on OTA so why not on FTA.  If its available in the clear on OTA then why not on FTA?
FTA: Openbox S9, 33" dish on Stab 90 HH, Avenger PLL LNB.  Spare 33" with Avenger PLL LNB.  25" at 30W, GeoSatPro  PLL LNB.
OTA: CM4221 at 35 ft. HW-150 PVR.

cyberham

• Personal Text
    Always glad to participate in a new FTA forum.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 09:22 am »
OTA is required to keep their broadcast licence isn't it? FTA isn't.
Sony TV, Clearstream 2V@12' high, CM-7777 30 dB preamp in 3-channel universe; 1.2-metre Ku dish 8W to 30W, 87W to 105W, Avenger PLL321S-2 universal LNB, GeosatPro microHD, Openbox S9, Coolsat 7000.

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 10:01 am »
OTA is required to keep their broadcast licence isn't it? FTA isn't.

The Broadcasting Act does not officially require the CBC to be available on OTA but rather "by the most appropriate and efficient means"

Mandate
The 1991 Broadcasting Act states that...

"...the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, as the national public broadcaster, should provide radio and television services incorporating a wide range of programming that informs, enlightens and entertains;

...the programming provided by the Corporation should:

be predominantly and distinctively Canadian, reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,
actively contribute to the flow and exchange of cultural expression,
be in English and in French, reflecting the different needs and circumstances of each official language community, including the particular needs and circumstances of English and French linguistic minorities,
strive to be of equivalent quality in English and French,
contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,
be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose, and
reflect the multicultural and multiracial nature of Canada."1

However the main issue with the CBC is that they did nothing to permanently  replace the coverage they lost when all their OTA transmitters outside originating cities (i.e. with a TV studio) were shut down. 

They kept referring people who complained to Shaw Direct's LTSS program. However, this is only a stopgap measure as I don't believe that program can accept any new signups.

The least they could have done is to have a Ku band transponder with both English and French CBC in HD up on the Telstar 14R satellite @ 63W which is one of the few which has a spotbeam covering ALL of Canada with limited U.S. coverage which would avoid the issue they have in regards to program rights.

Jorgek

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2014, 10:13 am »
I have a concern about the future of FTA but OTA as well.
The CRTC is inviting comments re the possibility of doing away with OTA altogether.  I'm sure due to the likes of Rogers, Bell etc. who would prefer that free TV totally disappears.
Would FTA them adopt the same model and scramble?

The internet to many is an alternative to FTA.  I recently bought a used dish.  The seller told me that the programs that he liked (ethnic) were available on the internet so he did not need FTA anymore.
FTA: Openbox S9, 33" dish on Stab 90 HH, Avenger PLL LNB.  Spare 33" with Avenger PLL LNB.  25" at 30W, GeoSatPro  PLL LNB.
OTA: CM4221 at 35 ft. HW-150 PVR.

Emerald_Boar

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2014, 04:38 pm »
Internet may be great but if you use to much Bandwidth.  You could be paying hundreds of dollars.

One of craziest things about CBC for London.  If they had flipped RF in Toronto (SRC use rf 20 and CBC use rf 25).  Then in theory on a good tropo night.  Some people in London may be able watch CBC on occasion.  (In London Omni 2 uses rf 20).

CBC has poor management.  Why would they care if people who can not afford cable get the signal.  Its obv people should hack into your neighbourhood cable provider lines.  Plus, If people can not afford cable.  How can they buy any thing on the commericals that are advertised on CBC.

CBC prefer to compete in a hundreds of channels world on cable.  Then against a dozen vs OTA world.

Checking CBC internet feeds.  Good news.  There are 37 shows you can watch ( http://www.cbc.ca/player/ )
Half of which are "Coronation Street"

What does CBC broadcast that there would be copyright issues?  Coronation Street?  CBC should be on a FTA satellites across the world.  But at the very least all across Canada.  2 different satellite would fully cover Canada.

Good Luck,
EB

Satfan3000

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:27 am »
The two real issues why FTA has not caught on are 1) The size of the dish. 2) Having an unobstructed view of the southern sky (arc). Fixed DBS satellite system are smaller in size and are fixed to one or two satellites, so most people don't mind the installation. I have many neighbours that have their view some how blocked. Then you get into having multiple dishes and you have a lot of wives getting upset.

Personally I would love to have a BUD (at least 7.5ft) to catch the majority of the FTA channels available. But, in an urban setting that it hard for most to swallow. Outside of the GTA area I can't see why Canadians would get a dish system. With the cost of a year's subscription you can install your own complete system with plenty to watch for years to come.

I've recently dove back into the FTA hobby and I was surprised at how much is now available in full HD. Even on just KU band. This past Saturday I was watching many US college footballs games that were not available on OTA.

Gatewayguy

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 08:03 am »
As someone who just became aware of this option for free TV about 30 minutes ago, and is still learning, perhaps I can offer some insight on how to make FTA more popular.

First, give me assurance this is all legal.
Next, make it easy for me.  Assume I am not a hobbyist but just a guy who wants to watch lots of free TV.  What I need to know is:
1. what will it cost me, in total
2. what channels will I get where I live.  The sort order of the list should be from most commonly watched (CTV, NBC, CBS, FOX) to least (foreign-language, cultural specific) so that I can quickly know if I will still get my favourite shows.
3. where can I find a professional to install it for me

Finally, assuming you don't have the budget to advertise the above three points to a wide audience, set up a referral program.  Pay me for everybody I send to you who switches to FTA.  If I'm having a great FTA experience, you can bet I will refer all my Facebook friends and real-life friends to your service.

Satfan3000

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:51 am »
I'll jump in and add my two cents on this.

I started FTA about ten years ago. I did all the work myself. First let me answer your questions:

1. Depending where you live (if you have the space in your yard), you can install an 8Ft (2.4m) dish brand new for about $600.
That will bring in the KU & C band frequencies. If space is an issue, then a 1.2 metre or 90 cm dish will get you the stronger KU band Frequencies. But, there will be less channels available.

2. It's not so much where you live that will be an issue 1. as long as you live south enough in Canada) 2. as long as you have line-of-sight to the satellites you should be able to get all the available in-the-clear channels if you opted for a BIGGER dish. With KU Band (smaller dish) you will with NOT get, CTV, CBS or FOX. Only a 2.4 m get you those network feeds. NBC & PBS HD network feeds are currently receivable with a 90cm dish. If you live close to the US border, can get those other network feeds with an Over-the-Air antenna.

There are a ton of foreign-language channels on one satellite and you can pick them up with a small dish. It depends on what you are looking for.

3. I believe Dr. Sat does installations and the prices depending the system you choice.

joshua minaya

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 12:14 pm »
I don't see Canadian signals ever being decrypted. That's partly due to copyright issues (US signal overlap) and partly due to the concentration of broadcast asset ownership in Canada. I do agree that there needs to be a low cost FTA option in Canada. That could be similar to the UK's FreeSat (though I don't see it being completely free in Canada) or some of the cheaper FTA packages that are currently available.

The big problem currently is that FTA is just not designed to be consumer friendly. The most desirable channels are spread over different satellites, some requiring large dishes, and the few that are available are essentially renegade or outlying feeds. US broadcasters, don't want consumers to access their signals with an FTA feed. Canadian broadcasters, mostly owned by BDUs with vested interest in DBS and cable systems, are even worse and exercise even tighter control on their feeds. They don't even like supplying HD OTA feeds, let alone FTA feeds.

Never say never because the truth about the matter is that it is very possible for Canadian signals to be decrypted.

pctest

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 09:04 am »
I have had a FTA system for over 20 years, and employed in educational television, so I installed and set it up myself. Finding new channels and wild feeds were of great interest to me. Plus what we get from FTA is first generation, 1080i, not 1080p. The signal is sent up to the satellite, then to earth which we can receive (first generation), this signal is picked up by networks, rebroadcast to satellite companies, then sent to our homes reducing the signal quality. So if you want the best signal possible, and a hobby, FTA C/Ku is the best solution.

unrealjoe

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 08:35 pm »
My Setup: I have a Motorola DSR-922 receiver that I use as my dish mover for my C-Band Dish. I have my FTA receiver attached using a splitter that only allows power to pass through 1 connection. I also have a motorized 39" Ku Band dish. I have done testing of the Manhattan receiver using both.

westmixxin

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2015, 08:15 pm »
  I just find it very interesting that satellite is coming this far that someone is capable of offering a program like this something that users actually can enjoy that would be very accessible.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.