Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: 1.2m Satellite Dish  (Read 13959 times)

westmixxin

Re: 1.2m Satellite Dish
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2015, 08:17 pm »
 I for one can’t wait for this specific dish comes out it’s really going to increase the quality of my signal these new dishes really are hitting the scene pretty fast I’m actually interested in seeing where the technology is going.

LaurieNicol

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2015, 05:32 pm »
Summer is well and truly here on the West Coast. And sunspots or tropo is making the signals a little tricky with the 90 cm dish. (now you see em , now you don't).
I was wondering if Dr Sat had abandoned the idea of the "new" 1.2m dish that he could provide and ship.

Laurie in Ladner BC with a 90cm on a pole in the backyard.

LaurieNicol

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 11:28 pm »
Bit the bullet and bought a dish from a supplier that hadn't the best of reputations, but currently was the only one who could ship me the dish.
The dish came wrapped in cardboard, 1/4" OSB, more cardboard, cardboard bumpers and two big boxes cobbled together with lots and lots of tape. More tape than cardboard actually.
The supplier wanted to be paid in US dollars even though it was a Canadian firm, so shipping cost about $130. Most of that cost was undoubtedly tape.
The dish is heavy duty, and though the pictures do show it motor mounted, I thought it might be too heavy for my SG2100 rotor.
It is meant to be mounted on a 3 inch pole, and they send you a 3 foot piece of pipe, and parts to anchor it to a cement pad.
I had to pad out the 50mm post on my motor because the U-bolt would not tighten right up to the 50 mm post on the motor. I bought a foot of 2" ABS, cut off a 5 inch piece. Split it in half with the table saw and taped it around the 50mm motor post. That a a few washers worked.
Aligning it was tricky. With that amount of mass, it wobbled and shifted the brackets and bolts. Every clamp is friction held. With the GeoSat 90cm dish, the clamp actually was double  secured with a bolt right through the post. Tricky tricky, and with the wife shouting out the numbers when, finally, by chance, I did get a signal.
On the good side. The motor went to the satellites that I had previously found, once I got the due south satellite tuned in.

The results. The  Quality went from 63% to 67% on 123W. I seem to be able to get OETA, and what set it off, LPB is again registering, even with the neighbour's trees having grown into my LOS.

Laurie in Ladner BC with a heavy 1.2m KU dish mounted on a SG2100 motor and a skinny 1&1/2 inch pole.

g17feedhunter

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 06:25 pm »
you may find that the dish strips the motors gears over time.

LaurieNicol

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 06:32 pm »
With a couple of pins though the clamps into the posts, I've stopped the twisting out of alignment. But with the extra weight, I was thinking of getting the STAB HH120 motor. That seems to be a top down post. And it is on sale (10% off and free shipping.)

laurie

LaurieNicol

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 06:35 pm »
you may find that the dish strips the motors gears over time.

The post on the motor on the SG2100 is now wobbly. Time to replace it with the Stab HH120.

Still the same problem with the HH120. The motor post is way smaller than the 3" clamp on the  dish. At least it will be now pushing down on the post rather than hanging from it.
laurie in Ladner BC
PS, Anybody local got a use for the 39" dish? It's just out in the weather, leaning against my fence.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.