Forum

Welcome Guest.
Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Issues using DirecTV in Canada  (Read 9479 times)

joshua minaya

Issues using DirecTV in Canada
« on: January 20, 2015, 06:14 am »

I am planning on using DirectTV in Canada. I plan on getting the receiver from my friend in the US however i was wondering if i do so will i still be able to get local channels like WABC.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 01:01 pm by SHAdmin »

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
Re: Issues with using DirectTV in Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 08:50 am »
As local channels are on spotbeams, you generally won't receive them in Canada unless you are close enough to the city they are based out of.

However, I do believe that WABC and other NYC major network locals are on a CONUS transponder which covers most of North America so you should still be able to receive WABC regardless.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

westmixxin

Re: Issues with using DirectTV in Canada
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:34 pm »
 I just always assumed that DirecTV had access to pretty every single area in the country I never really understood that some of the satellite providers only limited to certain small areas of the state and sometimes it doesn't even encompass a few cities.

mairj23

Re: Issues using DirecTV in Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 02:42 pm »
You should be able to get a signal from Canada just like anywhere else. DirecTv's satellite dish is pointed in a certain direction from earth and has to have the right coordinates to match their satellite in space to get a signal. As long as your field of view isn't blacked, you should be able to get the signal. Local channels, I'm not sure but all of the major networks, you can receive.

DrSat

• Global Moderator

• Corporate supporter

• Dr. Sat - The Satellite Doctor
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 07:35 am »
I just always assumed that DirecTV had access to pretty every single area in the country I never really understood that some of the satellite providers only limited to certain small areas of the state and sometimes it doesn't even encompass a few cities.

With non-local channels this is true as they are on a frequency which is configured to cover most of the North American continent. These frequencies are referred to as ConUS transponders which stands for Continental US.

However with the sheer amount of local TV network affiliates across the United states (over 2,000), there would never be enough satellite capacity to carry all of these using ConUS transponders which is why spotbeam transponders are used instead in order to carry the local network affiliates for each city.

Spotbeams differ from ConUS transponders in the sense that they have a a limited coverage area focused on a specific region. This allows for the frequencies assigned for spotbeams to be reused in many different areas across the country which substantially increases capacity and provides the ability for the satellite provider to carry the major network affiliates for each city in the U.S.

Coverage map of spotbeams used by DirecTV to deliver local channels across the United States

This explains why someone who is located outside the coverage area of the spotbeam that serves their local channels won't be able to receive them but all other non-local channels will work fine.  Normally this is not an issue as the FCC in the U.S. normally only allows access to the local network affiliates serving their market which would fall within the spotbeam's coverage.
Both DirecTV and Dish Network make use of spotbeams in order to carry local channels.
Dr. Sat - Proud sponsor of the FTA satellite forum
Dr. Sat - Fier commanditaire du forum FTA

mairj23

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 03:50 pm »
Whatever region that you're in dictates what local channels you will receive. Sometimes I like to watch the local news from other areas just to get a feel and see what's going on. Satellite companies are improving more each day with local channels, than how they used to be.

JohnBeaulieu

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:02 pm »
I'm not sure there is any way to get your local channels out of market. If there is it is sure to be expensive I would think. The technology is tied to location rather than to your dish/device.

markhascole

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 04:31 am »
nice decision.

We serve Oakville | Burlington | Milton | Mississauga | Hamilton | Georgetown | Acton | Halton | Toronto
Copyright © 2015 Dr.Sat - The Satellite Doctor. All rights reserved.